Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Lost Symbol

With all the traveling to and from California for the very successful and fun Farrell/Merschat Family Vacation (more about that in a future post), I finally got to reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol that Aunt Arlene gave me for Christmas!  Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10 and would recommend it to any Dan Brown fans out there, but I still think Angels and Demons is still the best of the Robert Langdon series.

Don't get me wrong, The Lost Symbol is very entertaining (until the last 100 pages, which really dragged and left nothing to the imagination) and introduced very interesting concepts like noetic science and superstring theory.  But I think the formula was getting a little old after you've read the previous books and I feel like it read too much like he was writing the screenplay simultaneously.  That's pretty nit-picky but it crossed my mind more than a few times in the last part of the book.

And of course the best part of the book was that it was set in Washington, DC!  The House of the Temple is actually a block from where my knitting group meets and where my bus drops off.  I've always wanted to tour the place!  And it incorporates so much history of our founding fathers and of the government buildings and monuments, that's always so interesting and a Dan Brown trademark.  Can you imagine how much research he must have to do?

All in all, it's a solid, entertaining read and it was the perfect fun summer read for the trip!  Thanks again, Aunt Arlene!

No comments:

Post a Comment