Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pride and Prejudice

I'm not sure how I got through high school and college without reading Pride and Prejudice... but somehow it slipped through the literary cracks.  Fortunately, this was the perfect book to take my mind off studying before bed and the short chapters were easy for me to pick up and put down.

But even if you're not studying, Pride and Prejudice is still one of those must-read books.

I have yet to meet a woman who has not fallen in love with the 2005 movie starting Keira Knightly and my love for the movie definitely encouraged me to read the book.


It's a quick read but you have to get used to the old-fashioned writing style of the time and the English spellings.  But that's easy to get past and you are guaranteed to be whisked away into the romantic lives of the Bennett sisters.  I think anyone with a sister can relate to the characters at least a little bit.  They family dynamics and personalities are witty, sarcastic, entertaining, and timeless.

I also love comparing books to the movies... and there are definitely some significant differences.  This is a fun summer read with the intrinsic value of reading a classic masterpiece.  I'm giving it an 8 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. How funny! I too read Pride & Prejudice for the first time last year. Hard to believe! Apparently I have a lot of Jane Austen to get through... Miss you!

    ReplyDelete