The last month or so, I've been seeing these big bags of dark, leafy greens in the supermarket. Didn't pay much attention to them... but I will from now on!
Kale is a highly nutritious vegetable with powerful antioxidant properties and is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, and reasonably rich in calcium (thanks wikipedia!)
So, like I said, I didn't pay much attention to them at Safeway until Dad and Mom Merschat brought us two bags of kale from their garden. Well how the heck do you cook this stuff?
We tried this Sauteed Kale recipe last night because it was super easy and we had all the ingredients already. Thanks Bobby Flay... YUM!
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 pounds young kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored. Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.

No comments:
Post a Comment