Monday, January 21, 2013
Quick, Easy, Delicious Scones!
It's MLK Day and Inauguration Day and for some reason, I felt like making scones this morning... and I'm sure glad I did! I just googled "easy scone recipe" and this link popped up... this is definitely going into the normal rotation.
I've altered the recipe a little bit since I wanted to use multigrain flour and I didn't have any heavy cream in the fridge, but it turned out so delicious topped with strawberry preserves.
INGREDIENTS
1 ¾ cups flour (I used Trader Joe's multigrain baking mix)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 orange- zested
1/2 cup milk
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 stick cold butter, cut into small squares
a pinch of salt
Heat the oven to 400F.
In a mixer, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and orange peel.
Add the cold butter and mix until you get a crumb mixture. Pieces of butter will be corn size and not blended in. This is good.
Add the cream and milk and mix only until it begins to form a dough.
Gather the dough and transfer to a flat surface, bringing together to a solid mass.
Flour lightly and roll to 0.5 inch thickness. Cut into circles using a 2.5 inch round cutter (you can also use a glass) and transfer to a pan. Brush with the remaining milk/cream mixture and dust with some coarse sugar.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment