Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pakistani Perspective of Times Square Bombing

My friend Kalsoom writes a popular blog CHUP! featuring Pakistani issues and I just thought her most recent post about the Times Square Bombing would be worth highlighting (make sure to read the comments too!).  Since living with my former roommate Sania and getting to know a lot of her Pakistani and Pakistani-American friends, I really feel it's important (and interesting) to see things from their personal perspective in addition to the mass media perspective.

In short, I think Pakistanis, Pakistani-Americans, and ALL American minorities are frustrated by the perpetuation of racial stereotypes when one person does something stupid that negatively affects the perception of that ethnicity in our great country built on diversity and equal opportunity.  I feel that America is a unique nation built strong by immigrants, tolerance, and freedom.  It just worries me a little with the immigration law in Arizona and support for racial profiling on the rise.  What happened to being proud of our melting pot nation? 

Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
' With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
~ Lady Liberty
God Bless America.  And that is my rant for today.  Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!  And remember to drink responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment