The other side of the balcony is doing equally as good! One big accomplishment this year has been our basil. I read online that you should plant your basil with your tomatoes because they compliment each other. At first I was worried that they would crowd one another and the basil would lose out on water and sunshine once the tomatoes got bigger... but au contraire... they are both growing SPLENDIDLY!
The sweet basil in the foreground is growing as tall as I've ever seen it... and we've even made 2 batches of pesto already! We also planted globe basil and Thai basil and they are flourishing as well. And the tomatoes are popping out too!
If you recall, my "experiment" plant this year was Chinese eggplant. I planted it with the hot pepper plants (something I also read online) and they all seem to be doing well. The eggplant's got half a dozen beautiful purple flowers and a glimpse of a baby eggplant already!
Our nasturtium is doing well, but I've only gotten one flower. I moved it to a less sunny spot so I hope that gives me some more flowers as the season progresses. The foliage is gorgeous and I can't wait to use it in a salad soon.
We haven't gotten any strawberries yet, but the dill and parsley have been put to good use in some of Michael's fish recipes lately.
And I'm also happy to say that we've spotted our first raspberry too!
So with our flourishing garden, I will soon post some recipes that utilize our harvest! Fortunately for my tummy (but unfortunately for my blogging), Michael has been in LOVE with the cookbook For Cod and Country and has been making the most delicious meals but I cannot just cut-and-paste the recipes since they aren't posted online. But don't worry, I'll write them out so stay tuned... Recipes to come!
And one more thing... I need to brag that the African Violet that I propagated from a single leaf last year has finally flowered. The little things just make me so happy!

No comments:
Post a Comment