Thursday, March 1, 2012
In the Garden of Beasts
Super interesting history book!
I know some of you are probably thinking what I thought when I saw this book: Oh my goodness... another book on WWII? No thanks.
But our book club picked it and Erik Larson wrote one of Michael's all-time favorite books (The Devil in the White City) so I thought I'd give it a shot.
It was very interesting from a historical perspective. I've always wondered HOW no one could see that Hitler was killing all the Jews and HOW the U.S. could decide to stay out of it for so long. Larson did a great job of giving you a glimpse into the social hierarchy, political dynamics and office politics of the time.
My favorite parts of the book focused on the U.S. Ambassador to Germany's daughter, Martha, and her scandalous love life!
If you're interested in WWII history and/or political history (which I really am not), this is a good book to pick up. Personally, I give it a 6 out of 10 (even though it was good for a non-fiction book).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This sounds like something Brad and I would both enjoy. Thanks for the suggestion!
ReplyDeleteWONDERFUL! Can't wait to see you guys in June... we'll discuss the book over good food and wine :)
ReplyDelete