The author does an exceptional job developing the characters with complicated and emotional personalities that I could really relate to. I felt myself constantly asking "what would I do in this situation" and being sucked into the high-tech, ruthless, and voyeuristic society that replaces North America in the future.
Honestly, the whole premise of the book is uncomfortable. Here's an excerpt from Amazon.com:
In a not-too-distant future, the United States of America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war, to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year, two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcasted throughout Panem as the 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch.Fortunately, the story follows the struggles, triumphs, and coming-of-age of a 17-year-old girl and doesn't really focus on the horrible (but frighteningly relatable) world that she lives in.
Love. War. Sacrifice. Plot twists and turns. Absolutely engrossing.
The Hunger Games is young adult fiction and sci-fi woven to give us a glimpse into the barbaric, selfish, competitive... compassionate, loving, beautiful sides of human nature.
I'm going to put it up there with The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and give it a 7 out of 10.

No comments:
Post a Comment