
Another favorite blizzard pastime: catching up on knitting projects!
So I get a call a couple weeks ago from my good friend Jen (whom I've known since 3rd grade) and she's pregnant!!! So what better time to try to knit my first baby hat! It's SO small... I hope his or her cute little head isn't much bigger than this san pellegrino bottle.
Here's the pattern I got from www.knittingonthenet.com:
Gauge:
20 sts = 4 inches
Materials:
Sportweight yarn
Size 5 US (3.75 mm) needles
Tapestry needle
Instructions:
CO 44 sts. Knit every row until piece measures 2 to 2½ inches.
Decrease:
Row 1: K3, k2tog, *(k7, k2tog); rep from *, end k3
Row 2 and all even rows: Knit
Row 3: K2, k2tog, *(k6, k2tog); rep from *, end k3
Row 5: K2, k2tog, *(k5, k2tog); rep from *, end k2
Row 7: K2, k2tog, *(k4, k2tog); rep from *, end k1
Row 9: K2, k2tog, *(k3, k2tog); rep from *, end k1
Row 11: K2, k2tog, *(k2, k2tog); rep from *, end k1
Finishing:
Leave a 6 inch length of yarn and cut.
Thread tapestry needle with yarn and draw through remaining stitches on needle.
Pull tightly and fasten.
Sew center back seam.
Ear Flaps:
With RS facing and working on the bottom of hat, measure 1¼" from center back seam.
At this point pick up 10 sts.
Knit these 10 sts for ¾".
Next Row: K1, k2tog, k4, k2tog, k1.
Knit all even rows.
Continue decreases until 4 sts remain.
Last Row: Slip 1, BO all sts.
Repeat on other side.
NOTE: Instead of binding off, I threaded some extra yarn through the last 4 stitches and braided them... I just love the little ties on the ear flaps so I had to improvise!
No comments:
Post a Comment