Sunday, August 15, 2010

Meet Mr. Phalaenopsis

There's been one light in our bathroom that's never worked.  Yes, we tried replacing the bulb, but it was something to do with the light fixture or wiring or something that our landlord needed to take care of (ah, the benefits of renting!).  In any case, it wasn't a big deal so we let it slide for a few years.

Fortunately, our dining room light went out last month and our landlord sent out some electrician dude and Michael asked him to replace the light in the bathroom.  It had to be special ordered so he came back last week while we were at work to install it.  You can't really tell by these pictures but it's a totally different light!

It's like WAY brighter than the other three lights in the bathroom and a total spotlight!  And it's in the worst spot: right on top of all our junk on the little corner shelf!  So of course I'm hosting Victoria's shower in 2 days and mortified that 25 strangers are going to be staring at the layer of dust, stuck-on toothpaste globs, and whatever else I've overlooked after almost three years of not paying attention to the dark corner of our bathroom.

So after scrubbing down the shelf with the help of my extra powerful spotlight, I decided to make lemons out of lemonade.  Now we have our newest plant (and my first orchid since moving to DC): Mr. Phalaenopsis!

It actually makes our bathroom look much more sophisticated and I got bunches of compliments yesterday during the shower.  Thank goodness for Trader Joe's selection of orchids!

Now let's pray I can keep it alive.  I don't have a great track record when it comes to orchids.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment