We all know that your chances of finding a gallon of milk or loaf of decent, non-wonder bread is pretty slim right before a blizzard... but I did not expect the store to be out of canned black beans! Weird! Michael needed the beans to make his delicious black bean soup so I thought I'd try making dried beans! Shoot, I'm snowed in all weekend and how hard could it be, right?
Well, it's not difficult at all but it is definitely time consuming. We soaked the beans overnight, drained them, and then boiled them for a couple hours. The beans were a little firmer than the canned ones, but other than that, I couldn't taste a difference. Some websites claim that there's a nutritional benefit to soaking the beans yourself... but I'm still not convinced it's worth the wait.
Overnight soaking + hours of boiling vs. twisting a can opener?
You never cease to amaze me! I hope you're staying warm...it's a chilly 60 degrees here right now. I have the space heater on. Sad.
ReplyDeleteYay for space heaters! We've been in a blizzard "white out" all morning. Wish I had those $104 frank lloyd wright legos to pass the time ;) You miss DC and we miss you!
ReplyDelete