Wednesday, April 28, 2010

City of Thieves

I think the Publishers Weekly review on Amazon sums it up with this sentence:

Benioff blends tense adventure, a bittersweet coming-of-age and an oddly touching buddy narrative to craft a smart crowd-pleaser.

Crowd-pleaser indeed!  It doesn't even matter that you don't care about WWII or Russian history because this book was quick, interesting, and just plain entertaining... just like watching a good movie! Coincidentally, Bennioff is the screenwriter who adapted The Kite Runner and wrote the screenplay for Wolverine

So if you don't feel like reading the book, I think there's a good chance you'll be able to catch it in the theater someday.  And since it reads like a movie, I don't expect I will say my usual book-to-movie adaptation line "the book was SO much better," but instead I'll say "yup, that was exactly how I pictured it."

Overall, I would give it a 7 out of 10 and would highly recommend it.  Solid entertaining book, but it was a tad one-dimensional with a somewhat predictable ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment